How do you read your ebooks?

All Non-Book Related Chat

How do you read your ebooks?

Postby bookluvr » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:54 pm

What device do you use to read the ebooks?

Do you read 'em on a pc/mac, a laptop, ebook reader, or a pda?

I hate reading ebooks on my pc. I hate to be shackled to my pc everytime I want to read a book. Besides, I can't curl up with an ebook, and the brightness of the pc screen isn't too kind on my eyes.

Right now I'm using a pda (palm) to read. There's a problem though. The fonts are not as easily adjusted as a PC. They're either too big or too small (since you can only choose between regular or large). Additional fonts I downloaded to my palm aren't doing much to help. Anyway, for the sheer convenience it offers, I can live with the font issue.

Does anyone have good experiences with a Pocket PC as a reading device? Since Pocket PC uses windows os, I wonder if the font sizes can be freely adjusted, as on a pc?

[/list][/code]
Random avatar
bookluvr

Postby Gypsy » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:39 am

I read them on my pcket pc. Have picked up a grand total of around 3 actual books in the last year. Purely because I couldn't get them on e-book.
Gypsy

Postby mdmartian » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:18 am

Hi bookluvr

I tried reading books on a pc some time ago. It's difficult, even on a laptop. It's better to curl up in a corner or on my bed to read. I've used a Palm to read my books for years already. There are e-book readers like iSilo that can help you add/remove your own fonts and sizes and a font-pack for the Palm called Fonts4OS5.

Another way I read e-books is through my cellphone. Although the screens are smaller, it's more portable. I use Tequila Cat Book Reader to convert ebooks for cellphones.

I have also read books on a Pocket PC using iSilo as well. Just make sure you make periodic rests between reading.
Password: martianbooks
Random avatar
mdmartian
Uploader
Uploader

Postby yitzle » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:01 pm

Palm->iSilo
Random avatar
yitzle

Postby shadow2dre » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:04 am

I mostly use laptop at home, though sometimes when I want to read in relaxation, then definitely pocketpc, I have asus ppc and can read many formats with it and based on the reader I can adjust the fonts. Also I am trying to read my paper books as well for I have many that are still in que. Unlike Gypsy, I still continue to buy books for there are many that I could not find online and I love reading a paperback from time to time as well :D :D :D
password: dreamon
--------------------------------------------
"Time lost can never be regained." Medieval Occitan proverb

-------------------------------------------
Code: Select all
http://www.geocities.com/shadow2dream
shadow2dre

Postby rmgx » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:46 pm

I use a desktop. :shock:

I have only a desktop and no other gadgets to read e books. :cry:

I guess I have no other option. :lol:

Paperbacks are always a pleasure. :wink:
rmgx

Postby thewhiteraven » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:47 am

I read paperbacks of course, but read an equal number of books on the PC, preferably .lit format. Lately I've begun reading on my phone, Nokia 6600 :D
thewhiteraven

Currently Reading: Love in the Time of Cholera

Postby srksmeghead » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:16 pm

I read most books with mobi pocket reader on a laptop,maybe a couple of hours at a time any more and my eyes hurt.
I read a lot of paperbacks as well.
srksmeghead

Postby topha » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:46 am

got a nice laser printer in my office... prints on both sides, 2 pages per side... ok sure, with a serie like Bazil Broketail (7 books - 1600 pages) it makes a lot... :P
topha

Postby millhouse » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:29 pm

I use the web browser on the sony psp to read. The screen is very clear. The only drawback is that you need to convert everthing into html.
Random avatar
millhouse

Postby suzilyn » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:32 am

I primarily read on desktop or laptop. To help sheild the eyes, I use a pair of glasses that has a light gray tint. I find that reading on the PDA sometimes is to difficult.
Random avatar
suzilyn

Postby Bookfreak01 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:33 pm

oooh I wanna palm o.o Maybe that'll be my xmas list ---> Palm Palm Palm Palm Palm ^_^

Up till now I've been reading on my laptop but it's soooo bright x.x I've contemplated printing but i read too fast so it'd be a waste.
I pwn the mini games xD
----------------------------------------------------------
<a href="http://www.filexoom.com/?id=29487">Free File Hosting at Filexoom.com</a>
Bookfreak01

Postby MacEachaidh » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:13 pm

I read my books on an old IBM WorkPad C3 (it's a rebadged Palm Vx), and that works much better for me than trying to read books on my PC.

It was a present -- a mate had it sitting unused in a box in his office, after it was given to him as a freebie at a business conference yonks ago, and he thought I might at least get some use out of it.

Admittedly, it's a creaky old thing -- only runs Palm OS 3.5, so I can't even do much in the way of changing fonts or anything -- but it runs MobiPocket 4, and that's plenty for books that don't have graphics or maps or require extended characters. I'm starting to get out a bit again (I've been pretty much housebound and unable to work since I smashed my spine just over a year ago -- I can still walk a little bit, thank goodness, but not far and not for long), so it's good to be able to take it with me on the train or the bus without having to carry heavy books !

And the software to turn a Word document (jeez I hate Word !!) or a PDF into an e-book is free from the Mobi site, and that's definitely within my price range these days !! :wink:

If I didn't have books to read, I think I'd go stir-crazy.
MacEachaidh

Postby Snook » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:57 pm

Up until recently I was using my Palm.

But I just got a Sony Ebook reader less then a month ago. It is one of the most awesome things ever made. They use something called e-ink technology. It actually looks like a piece of paper with ink writing, it's amazing. Because it doesn't light up, it doesn't strain your eyes, and it's the size of a real book.

If you read a lot, it's a must have.

Code: Select all
http://www.learningcenter.sony.us/assets/itpd/reader/
Random avatar
Snook

Postby Bookfreak01 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:27 am

omg that looks so good but its SOOO expensive x.x
I pwn the mini games xD
----------------------------------------------------------
<a href="http://www.filexoom.com/?id=29487">Free File Hosting at Filexoom.com</a>
Bookfreak01

Next

Return to General Chat