I'm just wondering...

Any Questions - Post Here

I'm just wondering...

Postby mohcandy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:18 pm

would you have bought every one of the book you downloaded if they cannot be downloaded for free?
I just wondered because a member of this group I'm a new member of keep sending me emails accusing me of stealing from authors. She has this estimates of how much an author lose in royalties because they were given away by people for free.
My quesion is just how accurate is her calculation?
Would you have bought all theme books? Personally, no way! First of all, poor and can't afford all of them. And only 1% of them is actually worth buying. :roll:
“For want of a nail, the shoe was lost;
For want of a shoe, the horse was lost;
For want of a horse, the rider was lost;
For want of a rider, the battle was lost;
For the want of a battle, the kingdom was lost!â€
mohcandy

Postby redandgold » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:02 pm

I'm sure her calculation is wrong - for a number of reasons.

only a small handful of people will download a free e-book as opposed to paying for either an e-book or a paperbook - so from them there may be a sale lost.

Bu, many peoole simply wouldn't buy the book if they couldn't download it, and any number more will buy the book once they decide they like it.

I suggest she ook at this page - from a publisher who isgiving away e-books of popular titles!

Code: Select all
http://www.baen.com/library/defaultTitles.htm

they say it far better then I.

But I will aslo add my 2p worth, I discovered an author through these free books - and I now have 15 copies of his paperbooks - which I wouldn't have if I hadn't read the books first in print. most of the e-books that I have downoaded for free I've also bought the paperback. Most of the books that I have in e-book form I have actually bought.

I would be interested to know how your friend does the calculations - and whether she offsets the "losses" aggainst the extra books sold through people discovering new authors, or deciding to get a paper copy of a well loved e-book
Random avatar
redandgold

Postby Qbar » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:13 pm

Before I started reading ebooks, most all of my reading was from the library, or borrowed or garage sale/thrift store books. So they weren't making much money off me before.

I sometimes think I am buying more books now, but that's because of the instant access of the delivery. I'm over 400 kms from the nearest bookstore and when I do get to an area where there is one, I'm usually too busy/scattered to spend the time there. My internet works 24/7.

It just occured to me - I had read 5 of the 6 books in a series from here and couldn't find the 6th book. I just got it in hard copy as a bday gift (from my wish list). It's a series I would have never started if I was buying the books - I avoid series, I hate knowing ahead of time that I'm going to go crazy wondering how it all ends up. Closure can get expensive. So in this case, someone made money off me that they wouldn't have otherwise.
Random avatar
Qbar

Postby sumoliz » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:44 am

I too find myself buying more paperbacks/hardbacks now that I download e-books. I used to just go to the library/trade-in/stacks to get books (no purchase necessary), but now I find myself at various bookstores buying series & series of books (which I also used to stay WAY away from). I also have many new favorite authors, authors I NEVER would have thought about reading before, had I not downloaded thier books. Authors are making WAY more money off of me now than they were previously.
sumoliz

Return to Question & Answers