Save The Seals!!!

All Non-Book Related Chat

Save The Seals!!!

Postby rmgx » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:19 pm

Watch the video to believe it!!
Code: Select all
http://www.hsus.org/protect_seals.html

Warning: The Video contains Graphic Images!

With more than 317,000 seals killed for their fur in 2005 alone
-- 98% of whom were babies under three months of age -- Canada's
harp seal hunt is the largest commercial hunt of marine mammals
on earth. It is certainly the cruelest.

Although Canadian citizens don't support the seal hunt, the
fishing industry and the federal government have refused to end
it. With the recent election of Prime Minister Stephen Harper,
there is renewed hope that 2006 will be the last year that seals
are clubbed and shot to death on Canadian ice for.

As Prime Minister Harper begins his term, we have an
unprecedented opportunity to influence the Canadian government
and save hundreds of thousands of baby seals.

Please take action today to help end the cruel Canadian seal
hunts by sending an e-mail to Prime Minister Harper immediately.
Thank you!

https://community.hsus.org/campaign/harper_protectseals?rk=U7qtC641SXEPW

U can also Sign Up to PETA's Online Community with the link given below
PETA stands for PEOPLE FOR ETHICAL TREATMENT OF ANIMALS

http://getactive.peta.org/PETA/join.html?r=gpMOdq61Omr2E
[/code]
rmgx

Postby aihe » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:28 am

Thanks rmgx email sent.
Password:
www.read.forumsplace.com

Or
http://read.freeforum.ca
Random avatar
aihe
Founder
Founder

Postby BungaDin » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:26 am

Peta has it's own sordid history regarding the treatment of animals. See the following link
http://www.workingpitbull.com/truthaboutpeta.htm

Regarding the seal hunt, unless you have lived in Newfoundland or in the North Atlantic I believe it is unjust for you to complain about this. Sure the practice looks brutal but in comparison to the beef/pork/sheep/goat and poultry industry it is WAY more humane.

By Contrast, the deer population is estimated to be between 25,000,000 to 30,000,000 in the US. Currently in the US they allow hunting of deer by just about any means you like (bow, gun, assault weapons) and the projected # killed by hunting is close to the same percentage relative to total herd size as the harp seal. Just on the first weekend of the deer hunt in Wisconsin last year over 130,000 deer were killed> THAT'S RIGHT, ONE WEEKEND ONE STATE! See facts here:
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=372917
. So before you jump on the bandwagon and harp on seals get some facts.

The main problem I see with the seal cull is they are cute and the blood shows up nicely against the white background.

Just so there aren't too many flames sent my way, the seal population is estimated here:
http://www.imma.org/harpseal.html

and the # allowed to be culled by our federal government is 325,000.

So let's ask ourselves why we are so up in arms about 325,000 harp seals being killedwhen we murder over 3,000,000 deer per year!
Random avatar
BungaDin

Postby aihe » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:43 am

So before you jump on the bandwagon and harp on seals get some facts.

You are welcome to post your views but remarks like this are not neccesary.
Password:
www.read.forumsplace.com

Or
http://read.freeforum.ca
Random avatar
aihe
Founder
Founder

Postby rmgx » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:19 pm

The purpose of the post was to bring out one of the several issues that are taking place around us. I am against all forms of KILLING whether it is in Canada, the US or Kenya.

Regarding the seal hunt, unless you have lived in Newfoundland or in the North Atlantic I believe it is unjust for you to complain about this

In the Global Village of today, no issue is a local issue. It is a concern of the citizens of the World. So it does not matter where you live or what religion you follow. What matters is the "CAUSE". If I live in U.K. should I not be concerned about what is happening in Iraq?

Sure the practice looks brutal but in comparison to the beef/pork/sheep/goat and poultry industry it is WAY more humane.

It is a SHAME that you can call the killing of innocent animals "way more humane". If it is killing it cannot be humane. And the way seals are killed (from what i saw on the video) it is brutal or barbarous and not "Humane" by any stretch of imagination.

Regarding Deer Hunting in the US, it is an act that I condemn with equal fervency as I condemn the Killing of Seals. No killing of innocents can be justified.

By Contrast, the deer population is estimated to be between 25,000,000 to 30,000,000 in the US...............

The total population of a species cannot be justification for its killing. Ratios and Proportions should be left for the Maths classes. By your line of thinking, I presume, you would say that we allow the killing of Humans as we "Humans" are more than 6 Billion. Every animal or human has a rigth to live and we have no rights to violate or infringe upon the rights of others.

# allowed to be culled by our federal government is 325,000.

Do you think that these numbers can srtictly be enforced? Will this not promote illegal or unaccounted killing?

Dear BungaDin I hope you are in complete agreement with my views.
rmgx

Postby BungaDin » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:14 pm

Wow, what a civil forum! I meant NO insult when I mentioned "get some facts", while the seal hunt is a highly contentious issue I feel there are a lot more practices that we engage in that deserve a higher profile than the seal hunt. I could go on and on with examples such as Japanese whaling, Spanish/Portugese overfishing of the North Atlantic etc.. What seems to draw Peta out is the fact the practice of the seal hunt is a relatively easy target because of it's somewhat stationary position and ease of getting graphic images. Also, what never gets mentioned is there is a MARKET for the product of the seal hunt just as there is for beef, pork, poulty etc.

We are very quick to focus our ire on the people that do the "dirty" work to provide us with the pelts/meat that is obtained in the hunt, rather than putting the focus on who supports the entire activity (the consumer).

Much like the drug trade we say "it's the Colombians, Afghanis, Mafia, Biker Gangs that keep the drug trade flourishing" rather than the fact it is the drug taker that keeps the demand there for someone to supply.

I'm no fan of the seal hunt but I'm also no fan of PETA. I feel we have much larger issues to combat than the seal hunt, but as I said earlier, it's a very easy target because of the cuteness of the animal and the ease with which to publicize the activity. If the harp seal looked like a rat NO ONE WOULD CARE....NOT EVEN PETA.
Random avatar
BungaDin

Postby zombie » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:45 pm

This is a civil forum, and in future be more careful what you say.
Random avatar
zombie
Founder
Founder

Postby rmgx » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:59 am

It seems you have a personal grudge against PETA. Considering what I posted on this site, the issue of Seal Hunting was not brought up by PETA but a different organization. I had added the PETA link for people who wish to further know about different issues concerning animals.

I feel there are a lot more practices that we engage in that deserve a higher profile than the seal hunt.

It is true that other issues also need our attention but that does not mean that we turn our backs to the rest of the issues. These issues have to be brought up on different platforms for their redressal.

From what I know members of PETA are not only working on the SEAL issue but several other issues including the ones mentioned by you.

Regarding the market issue, its all a game of "Demand And Suppy". You know for sure that if there is demand there will be supply and also if there is supply, it will create its own demand. So it is a "Chicken or the egg" kind of situation. It is for these reasons that it is imperative to put a stop to such practices like Seal or Whale hunting, this will curtail the supply side. To cut the "demand", organizations are working (including PETA) to motivate people to adopt "Animal Friendly" habits such as "GOING VEG." ie avoiding or altogether abandoning eating animal flesh in any form, boycott goods of animal product eg Fur coats, or animal souvenir etc. So friend, both the demand side as well as the supply sides have to be dealth with and therefore a two-pronged strategy need to be implemented.

It is untrue that only the "good looking" ones get the attention. I believe every animal is beautiful in its natural habitat. And for images of poor animals, it is a must as people would not believe the such innocent, harmless animals undergo such atrocities. Would you believe a thing had you not seen it with your eyes and read about it from reliable sources?

From what I gather from your writings, I think you or your family member or a close friend, directly or indirectly, benefit from the trade. Otherwise,there is no other reason for such opposition. I feel this is the biggest challange. If such a practice is put to a stop suddenly many people would have no work all of a sudden. It ca nbe tough finding gainful employment and changing ones profession. That is why I believe people should be properly rehabilitated before banning such activities, so that the people who lose their jobs do not have to suffer. This world should be made a better place to live but not at the peril of others!
rmgx

Postby BungaDin » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:04 am

I'm in no way connected to the seal hunt nor do I have any relatives who are in any way connected to it.

I do have a grudge against special interest groups that are unbalanced in their reporting. PETA is just one of thousands that distort facts to suit their agenda. While some of the ideas espoused have validity the methods and distortions lose people who would otherwise support their cause.
Random avatar
BungaDin

Postby Akkara » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:13 am

I think the main issue is seals,are cute and cuddly lookin,and as humans its sad to see something cute and cuddly die,just for the fun of it,or so some rich person can have a pretty new scarf.I'm not being specific about only seals,i mean all the creatures we kill for fun or for cloths.Back in the day i understand we had to have cloths to keep warm and we realy didnt have a walmart or jc's to run down the road to.Now we do so its just barbaric.If the reason where killing them is so they dont over populate i see no reason why we just dont get a dart gun full of something that will kill them instantly and painlessly instead of killing them painfully and sometimes killing mothers and causeing the babys to starve to death.No point at all.
Akkara

Return to General Chat